In combo with the new Council of the Wise Contract, Rumour from the Earth transforms from a great card, into a multi-function, recursive, deck defining, ultimate scrying card.
On playing any event, Council of the Wise lets you either (choose one, but you can do each of these once per round). Add one resource to a hero, draw a card, lower your threat.
Pair this with Rumour of the Earth's "pay 1 resource, to return this card back in your hand", and you get the ultimate combo of flexibility.
Depending on how you want/need to play it, here are the eight options available once you draw this card, usable every single round as you return the card to your hand each usage:
1. Single play, x1 function: 0 cost encounter scrying. Look at top card of encounter deck for 0 cost, return this card to hand (gain the resource back with the contract)
2. Single play, x2 functions: 1 cost for resource smoothing and 1x encounter scrying. Spend one for encounter scrying, add resource to another hero
3. Double play, x2 functions: 1 cost for card draw and 2x encounter scrying (use combo once to gain , twice to draw a card)
4. Double play, x2 functions: 1 cost to reduce threat by one and 2x encounter scrying (use combo once to gain , twice to reduce threat)
5. Double play, x3 functions: 2 cost for one resource smoothing, card draw, and 2x encounter scrying. (Use twice, spend two for encounter scrying, add resource to another hero, draw a card)
6. Double play, x3 functions: 2 cost for one resource smoothing, reduce threat, and 2x encounter scrying. (Use twice, spend two for encounter scrying, add resource to another hero, reduce threat)
7. Triple play, x3 functions: 2 cost for card draw, threat reduction, and 3x encounter scrying. (Use contract combo the maximum three times in one round, returning a resource)
8. Triple play, x4 functions (!!!!): 3 cost for card draw, threat reduction, one resource smoothing, and 3x encounter scrying. (Use contract combo three times in one round, returning resource to a different sphere)
Bonus**** Triple play, one card, every round, x6 functions!!!!
Here is what is even more crazily powerful with this card combo'd with Council of the Wise. Spreading out the plays of a single copy of this event card potentially lets you (A) see what encounter card will guard an item, (B) see what encounter card is next, (C) see what shadow card is dealt this round, (D) get a card draw, (E) reduce threat by one, all for the low cost of 2 or (F) 3 if you want to resource smooth.... Then you can repeat the entire thing. Every. Single. Round!
Scrying standouts Firyal, Henamarth Riversong, Risk Some Light, and even Denethor bow before this combo!
Getting a guarded item (like Necklace of Girion, Glamdring, Mithril Shirt) safely into play, while still knowing what will guard it, and what encounter card comes afterwards, has never been easier.
This card combo is insane. The only thing keeping it in check is that with Council of the Wise, you can only put one copy of Rumour from the Earth in your deck. You have to draw it first.
But there are many ways to tutor/draw this out if you don't see this in your opening hand (24% chance with mulligan). I'll post a deck in the future - RiddermarkLord's TOME (Tour of Middle Earth) that shows how this can be done under Council of the Wise restrictions.
Rumour from the Earth....its power is no rumour when paired with a Wise Council....