Core Set Decks - Mirkwood Zero Defeat
Why those heroes?
Well, it starts from a few considerations.
- In the early game the combinations of sphere that worked the best were - because the latter was severely lacking in but could already punch some combat out, and - because you know "resources and cards" in a card game... So this one possible selection of heroes below threat 30 within that sphere combination.
- Why threat 30? Because of the infamous Hill troll of course! And also because it gives you time. Turtling was definitely the go-to strategy in the early life of the game.
- Thalin is under-estimated just because he can get rid of the pesky surging re-shuffling Eastern Crows. It should also help with combat as the decks are requiring that allies pull their weight on the department. They will.
- It just includes the best comboes of the Core Set Sneak Attack+Gandalf (probably still the best combo in the game), and the hard control A Test of Will+Dwarven Tomb+Eleanor+Strength of Will (if you don't use Eleanor). Yeah. Don't ignore Eleanor! Treachery cancellation, defending in a pinch, she's cool.
- Glóin was probably underrated (by myself) back then. He's crazy good.
- cards are really good in that cycle. Forest Snare enemies, help questing with Radagast's Cunning and Secret Paths, discard Conditions with Miner of the Iron Hills, draw cards with Gléowine... what else do you need?
Piloting is global.
- Northern Tracker is a broken card for the Mirkwood cycle. Put one in play every time you can.
- Steward of Gondor goes on Beravor to help pay for numerous cards, especially the Forest Snare, Daughter of the Nimrodel etc. Beravor is always used to draw cards. Always.
- Théodred's resource goes to Éowyn or Thalin when they're controlled by the first player, otherwise on himself. With Glóin's resource generation, you won't have any problem with resources.
- Passage through Mirkwood: 1/1
- Voyage Along the Anduin: 1/1
- Escape from Dol Guldur: 1/1 (thankfully, Théodred was the prisoner, so we were a bit lucky yeah, Eowyn as a prisoner would be a definite loss)
- The Hunt for Gollum: 1/1
- Conflict at the Carrock: 1/1
- Voyage to Rhosgobel: 1/1 (three copies of Lore of Imladris were included)
- The Hills of Emyn Muil: 1/1
- The Dead Marshes: 1/1
- Return to Mirkwood: 1/1
We're having so much fun with those two decks that we have decided to keep using them until we lose! So far:
- Into the Pit: 1/1
- The Seventh Level: 1/1
- Flight from Moria: 1/1
- The Redhorn Gate: 1/1 I really thought it would be impossible but in the end it was disturbingly easy. Turtle, save on your 3 Test of Will, while exploring Caradhras in the staging area with your Trackers and Snowbourne scouts. Then breeze through last quest stages canceling those stupid treacheries. Faramir helps too.
- Road to Rivendell: 1/1
- The Watcher in the Water: 1/1 not difficult to resolve the gate of Moria riddle with Henamarth Riversong...
- The Long Dark: 1/1 Eleanor cancelled all the Locate test treacheries haha
- Foundations of Stone: 1/2 (see in the comments for defeat explanation)