Healing cards usually falls in three categories :
- one-time effects (attachments like Lembas or The Long Defeat, the events, Galadhrim Healer)
- repeatable effects at the price of 1 ressource (Dúnedain Warning, Glorfindel's ability, Ioreth)
- "free" repeatable effects, usually on allies (the well-known Warden of Healing, but there also situational cards like Wellinghall Preserver or Daughter of the Nimrodel) but not only (Self Preservation and the Three Hunters! and Grey Wanderer contracts.
The Imladris Caregiver was an exception with his "discard for heal" effect , but now with Song of Healing we get another example of such ability . There is a great review on the Caraegiver page I encourage you to read (tldr : discarding a card is like paying a ressource, and with Elven-light you can draw a card).
- free cost, and with it's Song trait it can even generate some if there is a Love of Tales in play.
- no limitation in times. If you have enough and cards in hand, you can take every attack undefended
- everyone can trigger the heal. Of the other healing cards, only Ioreth has this ability, but limited by the exhaust.
- it's not an ally. Here and there you can find "blank all textbox of characters" treacheries wich couldn't affect this card (but there also many "discard attachment" shadows so it depend on the scenario you are playing)
So when can you consider having this card in your deck ?
- When you draw too much for what you can pay (it's a great way to use your leftover cards at the end of round in one Erestor deck)
- With Elrond. He makes every healing card worth :)
- When you have many duplicates of uniques (for example a Vilya deck with all Elrond and Gandalf's toys). Daeron's Runes is a way to use them, Song of Healing is another.
- When playing a Song deck, and use it more for the ressource generation
- When you have are playing with your discard (usually limited to Noldor or )
- When one hero is going to make all defenses and he is the only character you want to heal (Erkenbrand for example)
- When a contract restrict you in your healing choices (Fellowship forbids you to have Warden of Healing, and maybe you prefer keep ressources for you big allies instead of paying Ioreth's heal).
Last reason to try this card : 10/10 artwork (yay, another Magali card)