Conflict at the Carrock
This is a pretty straight forward tank and spank scenario. Since we are trying to slow play the first stage to prep for the ambush and we have Beravor's card draw there are really only a couple of cards we'd love to see in the opening hand.
- Steward of Gondor resource acceleration Grimbeorn the old requires 8 leadership resources.
- Miner of the Iron Hills Sacked condition is a potential game end-er and it cannot be cancelled.
- A Test of Will Roasted slowly and other treacheries can be cancelled.
Slow play the first couple of rounds we start with mid 20's threat so we have a few turns. Use Denethor and if you have it Henamarth Riversong to dig through the encounter deck and try to find a Bee Pasture or Grimbeorn the Old. He isn't necessary to defeat the scenario, but it is easier with him than without him. If you get him you want him on the left side of the table with Aragorn
Use Beravor's card draw as much as possible to dig for cards to use against the trolls:
- Eleanor is primarily used to cancel Roasted Slowly but can cancel other treacheries if no Sacked cards are in play.
- Hasty Stroke is important because Roasted Slowly as a shadow card as the same effect as the treachery (if it's on a troll).
- Song of Kings can help generate leadership resources.
- Song of Wisdom can go on Frodo Baggins to give him access to A Burning Brand.
You want to push through the first stage by the time your threat reaches ~31, you don't want all the trolls at once. You can use Son of Arnor and A Light in the Dark to help ensure that the trolls engage the left side of the table, likely where you want them.